Sunday 10 January 2016

Why I've chosen comedy and what I've learned about it - Joshua and Aiden

The reason I chose comedy as my preferred genre is because it doesn't take as much planning as action or horror. Comedy doesn't need props or set pieces, and with that in mind I've tried to keep the comedy to funny angles and dialogue.
It is easier to get people to laugh with slap-stick and prop humour but that's not within my budget nor can I legally carry the desired props around in public, so unfortunately I'll have to try and make everyday objects look funny.
I personally don't think its a very difficult genre because after the script is made it's pretty easy to film. Or at least that's the impression I got from my last experience shooting a comedy.

When I look at stand-up comedy  I notice a lot of exaggeration and deep description in order to make something like "taking the kids to school" sound hilarious.
Comedians would sometimes even put themselves as the punch line which gets a good laugh.
Sometimes an anti-climax works too.


However stand-up comedy is very different from movie comedy so I re-watched some of my favourite comedies to get some extra information.


For movies I watched Simon Pegg's Cornetto Trilogy: The World's End, Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead which are highly praised as some of the best British comedies ever made.
The Director, Edgar Wright takes a lot of the credit as well as his unique editing style is what makes these movies so funny. For Example:
Say you needed to film somebody doing some paperwork, usually that would be boring but Edgar Wright filmed it in a series of fast paced jump cuts each either zooming in or panning around the paper quickly.


I also watched an anime series called Prison School which has some of the most hilarious camera angles and reactions I've ever seen.
However Prison School and The Cornetto Trilogy are meant for very different audiences so I'd probably have to lean more to TCTs type of comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment